Monday, May 17, 2010

Okay...so we all know Earl travels...sometimes he travels A LOT. Whatever...it's part of the "job". The "job" that allows me to stay home and do my job...raising two miniature versions of Earl. (Someone once said we only had "one recipe" for kids...and that recipe is Earl. It's true, they look so much like him, it can freak a girl out) Crazy as they may drive me some days...God knows I love 'em. And they make me laugh and keep me on my toes and give me a great excuse to make cookies. Anyway...so there ya go. Earl travels...whatever...I'm sorta getting used to it, and while we miss him like crazy, I like the overtime and I like that I get to watch chick flicks without the witty input from my man. However, when he travels, I often find myself in situations I like to call "one parent + 2 children = great ability to improvise". Below is an example of such a situation. Earl was outta town and the night he left, a MONSTER storm came through right as I was putting the kids to bed...in fact I think I had put the kids to bed and was pouring a glass of wine. So...when I say MONSTER storm...I mean like windows rattling, flower pots flying, TV channel checking for tornado warnings, dog pacing the house and barking, kids fah-reaking out, MONSTER storm. Both kids were in their respective beds....CRYING out for "MAMA"!!!! I put down my glass of wine *sigh* and then began the back and forth, back and forth between their rooms. I did the usual repertoire of comforting prayers and songs and back rubbing. Telling each child that I had to "go check on your brother/sister" and that I would be "right back"...each time I left one room to go into the other room, the wailing would begin again. NOTHING. WAS. WORKING! So...here's what I did...

Yup...you guessed it. I just put 'em in the same bed. Threw 'em in together. Like the bible sez "Where two or more are gathered...", right? It was at that moment that the crying ceased and the laughing started. Amidst the thunder and lightening and wind, I heard quiet laughter and sweet sibling voices. I didn't have the heart to tell them to "be quiet and get to SLEEP"...instead I got my glass of wine, muted the TV, and listened to the "music"...which slowly got quieter and quieter. 30 minutes later I returned to check on my children...and found them sleeping peacefully...securely...together. If this isn't a good enough reason to have more than one child, I don't know what is. Siblings are a gift...sometimes they are an annoying gift...but in the storms of life, they can be a great comfort.

7 comments:

Tasha said...

Too precious, and a memory I am sure you will remember for life.

Tara said...

So, so sweet!!

Kristy C said...

I love how you document life! You are a great mother and pretty quick on your toes too. Love those babies. I remember some of the best times of my childhood was when Laura and I shared a bed. Keep up the good work.

Karyn Hatch said...

Awww....Kathryn, I LOVED this post. But then again, I think I say that every time I comment on here. Seriously though, this is so sweet!

The Luke Family's Home Page said...

Beautiful!

Emily P said...

Yes.... I agree with this post.... siblings CAN be annoying...very annoying. But then they grow up and become your very best best best friend in the whole wide world! Love this Katy bug!

Toni said...

I remember getting in bed with your Uncle Nic when it was cold and freezy and we would scream/giggle and hug each other.

Great post, Tootie....You are getting pretty good at this improvisation stuff! :-) xoox