Sunday, April 12, 2009

I know I haven't posted much lately. Lots of things going on in the Farris household...I'll update when I can. I just wanted to post this today--Easter...it was a reminder that sometimes it is best for us to see the story of Easter with fresh, childlike eyes. Nothing reminds us of this like telling the Easter story to a 4 year old. Grace was up BRIGHT and early this morning, she opened her Easter basket, and then I sat down with her to go through the "Resurrection Eggs" (see here if you don't know what these are) It's a difficult thing for ME to understand--why God would come down, live a human life, walk among us, and then DIE a horrible death for MY sins--so you can understand how hard it is to explain to someone under 4 feet tall who thinks Jesus is some sort of spiritual superhero and who's only concept of death comes from seeing a dead cat on the road during a walk. We went through the eggs--one by one--the donkey...the chalice...the crown of thorns ("Ouch, don't you think that would hurt to have on YOUR head? What if your princess crowns had thorns on them?")...the cross...the dice ("They STOLE his clothes...that's not very nice is it?")...the spear ("Was there blood mama?")...and finally death ("Jesus was dead...like that dead cat we saw on the road") She never lost interest. In fact, as I type she is making Danny re-tell the story. I didn't think she was listening really, I didn't expect her to fully understand...I just want her to NEVER remember a time in her life when she didn't know that Christ took the ultimate "time out" for her...that He lives with us, walks beside us...Hallelujah!! But she WAS listening and trying her very best to relate this story to her simple little life....the next egg was the linen cloth Joseph ("Jesus' friend") wrapped His body in after He died. Grace looked at me, wrinkled her liddle forehead and said "Like a big band-aid Mama?"....yes Grace...like a big band-aid...

When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples. He said to them, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it." Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them. --Mark 10:14-16

2 comments:

Karyn Hatch said...

What a great post...and so true! I'm sure it was so precious to listen and see Grace process this awesome day and what it means! What awesome parents you and Danny are!

Kasey said...

Good for you!!! We have tried to make sure our boys understand the TRUE meaning of the holidays and not focus on the STUFF!