Monday, June 8, 2009

There are times in your life you wish you could freeze...stop time...I had a moment like that tonight. We got home late from dinner with a new friend--we got home late last night too...I hate getting home late. It means the monsters go to bed late...but they still wake up bright and early the next morning...making for an increased amount of growling throughout the day. Anyway...we got home late...we rushed to bath...hurried to brush teeth and hair...jumped into jammies...speed was the name of the game. Now that I look back at the night, there was simply no need for the rush. We had nowhere to be in the morning...no agenda. I suppose my need for routine is a teeny bit over the top...
We rushed so much that I chose to read the book in the rocking chair in Sam's room instead of our usual spot in the living room rocker. Grace settled into that crook in my arm. You know the one...it grows tighter every year. Soon she won't fit...I'll be sad when that happens. I remember snuggling into the crook of my daddy's arm...such a safe place. Sam settled into his usual spot...the beloved "ninny" (YES...I'm still nursing my 15 month old...NO...I don't know how much longer I will nurse him) I chose Goodnight Moon because it is short...If Grace had picked the book, it would have been the longest book on the bookshelf. But Goodnight Moon...what a fabulous book. Thank you Margaret Wise Brown. And as the words rolled off my lips..."In the great green room...there was a telephone...and a red balloon..." my shoulders relaxed, time stood still. "and a picture of...the cow jumping over the moon..." I could feel the day peeling away from the three of us. "And there were three little bears sitting in chairs..." And we were just there. Nowhere to be. No one to meet. It was a most precious moment. I can't really even put it into words. I suppose I am just blogging this because someday I want to read this and remember when my babies were so small, small enough to fit in the crook of my arm, little enough to hold them both in my lap at the same time...and remind myself to breathe in, breathe out...take each moment as it comes...life is certainly beautiful. Thank you Jesus...Thank you for my sweet children who remind me how very precious the everyday really is...
"...Goodnight stars...goodnight air...goodnight noises everywhere..."

4 comments:

granolachic said...

this was a favorite of my son's forever!!! i love that you recognized the moment...what a good mommy you are!!

Margaret said...

Thanks Katy. I think I needed that.

Emily P said...

Kathryn is especially good at cherishing her children. She always has been and it is something that I have learned from her. My Baby sister and I learn so much from her. One of the best Mommys I know. Love you girl

Jennifer said...

Gosh, this post actually brought tears to my eyes. This month is so hectic at our house and the days have turned into weeks right before my eyes. I too am a little OCD'd and schedule specific...this just made me realize that these guys are only gonna be this age this one time...we should all stop and "read the books" more often! Thanks for this one! =)