Sunday, January 3, 2010

Every house needs a little cat hair...

Meet Sara...the cat.
She's the newest member of our family. Sara...the cat. Her name was Precious. Grace re-named her. We adopted her from the Saline Animal League. She was rescued from the shelter and then brought to PetSmart on adoption day by some amazing women who run the shelter (you know what I'm talking about right? Local animal rescue groups bring animals to PetSmart on Saturday? Yeh, that sort of thing) She is Siamese (with a little calico thrown in for good measure) and about 4 months old. We have been looking for a cat for our family for about 2 months. Grace even asked Santa for a cat for Christmas. I had my heart set on an orange tabby male kitty. I love orange male tabby kitties. But God...oh my...He had different plans for our family. We went to PetSmart to look at a little orangy tabby kitty I had seen earlier in the week, but before we could make our way to his kennel, we were greeted by Sara. She was pulling out all the stops to get our attention. Rubbing up against the door of her kennel, meowing, purring...like I said before, all. the. stops. So we stopped to take a look at her. Then Grace wanted to hold her. "Sure Grace...but we're just gonna hold her. We're not taking her home." 10 minutes later? Yup...you're quick...Earl's on his way to the car to get the cat kennel we brought along "just in case", and we're the proud owners of Sara the Siamese cat.
We brought her home, let her meet the dogs, gave her a bath....
(Earl said something about "Welcome to our house Sara...blah, blah, blah...she likes to clean everything"...but I blocked him out...afterall, isn't cleanliness next to Godliness?)
It was a traumatic arrival I'm sure...that's a lot for a little creature to take in a matter of 2 hours. But Miss Sara took it all in stride. She greeted the dogs with an obligatory hiss, was compliant during the bath, and even relaxed and purred when I got the blow dryer our to dry her fur. She is an amazing liddle thing. And the perfect fit for our chaotic family. At first we thought she might be deaf. Nothing seemed to startle her or get her attention. Barking dogs, crying children, noisy toys, loud instruments...she seemed to be oblivious to it all. Only later did we find that Sara the cat has selective hearing, for when a food bowl is rattled anywhere in the house...she comes running.
It also didn't take her long to find the heating vents in the floor...she likes to be warm. I don't blame her. The high today was 11 degrees...did you hear that? 11 DEGREES! I'm thinking about laying on the floor vent too...
We wanted a cat that would snuggle...and let me tell ya, be careful what you ask for because this little thang is a professional snuggler! She wrote the book on snuggling. And we wouldn't have it any other way...we have all fallen in love with Sara-girl. Oh how good if feels to have a little cat hair back in this house!
(Side note: the scratch on Sam's face is not from Sara. It is from Mommy...it was totally an accident. And I feel super bad about it...and yes, I put neosporin on it...oh, and second side note: I promise I'll blog about Christmas....someday. Most definately by next Christmas...)

1 comment:

Emily P said...

I HEART SARA!!!!! She is a DOLL!!! What a sweet girl! Love the comment about, "She like to clean everything!" SO true Dan! Sam is so sweet with little animals... I have even seen him tame Gary the Great at Mom and Dad's. Glad that you have a kitty back in the Farris house.