Saturday, April 10, 2010

"Who's a Friend...

of the Water-Spurting Whale?"
--by Sanna Anderson Baker

Who knows the way to the house of light?
And who knows where darkness dwells?
Who was there when the sea was born?
And who wraps it round with a blanket of fog?
GOD
Who tells the morning "Sweep the stars from the sky"?
And who shapes the clouds that hand so high?
Who says to thunder "When lightening dances, clap"?
Who says to the snow , "Go to earth and be quiet as a cat"?
Who tells the storm to roar like a lion?
And who makes lakes freeze hard as iron?
GOD
Who's a friend of the beasts in the forest?
Who takes care of the cattle?
Who finds food for the lion and her young?
Who made the crocodile's jaws so strong?
Who knows the names of the birds of the world?
And who's a friend of the water-spurting whale?
GOD is great, and is good.

Based on passages from the Old Testament, the Book of Job.

I saw this book last night when I tucked Grace into bed. She takes a pile of books to bed with her...and a flashlight. I remember doing the same thing as a child. But this book jumped out at me...spoke to me. I've read it a hundred times. It's one of the kid's favorites. One of my favorites. But now it speaks to me a much more personal way...in these days of grief, and uncertainty, and emotions that change with the wind, I ask myself..."Who knows the intricacies of our bodies? Who shaped our lungs and gives us breath? Who can heal my mother-in-law's sickened lungs?" And I know the answer, even before I ask it...GOD.

2 comments:

Toni said...

I gave her that book! And it is from Psalms! I love that "story." So did my preschoolers.....Such a comfort...GOD is Great...and GOD is Good.
Love to you all. Looking forward to the time I will spend with you.

Toni said...

OkAY,.....so...maybe it IS Job....So SUE me....