Friday, March 11, 2011

I wish heaven had a phone

Grace got her star moved.  Twice.  In one day.
Let me back up.
In Grace's Kindergarten class, each child has a magnetic star.  This star starts out on the green every morning.  It is true, even in Kindergarten, that God has indeed created a new day, everyday.  Misbehavior can cause the star to move to yellow--a warning, a reminder to "slow down" and think about your behavior.  If the behavior continues or escalates, the star is then moved to red.  A note is sent home with the child and further action is taken if that is deemed necessary.  Above said magnetic star can be moved back and forth throughout the day between green, yellow, and red as behavior warrents.  It's a fluid system.  And it works fantastically for my 6 year old and her need to please.  The law of the star holds much weight.  And simply asking "Where is your star?" upon arrival home from school can elicit a big smile or big tears.
Wednesday I didn't even have to ask.  With ducked head and weepy eyes, Grace said "Mom...I had my star moved today."  Once for talking and a second time for not listening.  Oiy...  I expressed my disappointment, told her she had to tell her daddy when HE got home, and asked her what she would do differently in the future.  I left it at that.  It was clear to me that the migration of her star from green to yellow was punishment enough.
Later that night...when the children were in bed, Earl and I sat on the couch playing a game (lately we're playing Mancala--an Ethiopian marble game) and I began to talk through the events of the day.  Particulary the movement of our primary offspring's precious star. 
It was then that he told me this story:
"When I was in Kindergarten, I got into a fight--a fist fight--with another little boy during recess.  My brother had to pull me off of him."  Earl sighed...then grinned and looked up at me and said "And that was only half day Kindergarten....it could be worse babe...it could be worse."
Oh how I miss my mother-in-law. 
It's times like these I my fingers itch to call her and ask her exactly what kind of genetics I'm dealing with here...
I wish heaven had a phone.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Omigosh. A FIST fight??? Really?

Well, my precious liddle Gracelet won't go fisticuffs on 'em....But she WILL talk herself into lotsa trubble....And, remember....I, too, went to many a teacher/parent conference w/my head ducked as regards your older sister...Her mouth was "on restriction" a LOT...She Always had to have the last word...xoxoox