Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A music lesson

Some afternoons, I lose my mind. Please...don't act shocked. It's the "crazy hour"--somewhere between waking from nap and welcoming Daddy home from work, we get a little...well...hyper, cranky, anxious, unbearable...just. plain. crazy. I do my best to "defuse" my little ticking time bombs during this time. We go outside, we read books, we play in the floor, sometimes when I'm feeling super creative we do a craft, sometimes we just stand around and stare at each other...it's not my favorite time of the day. So recently I did something I haven't done in awhile...ya know, just to keep my kiddos on their toes...never know what nutty thing Momma will do next....


I pulled out (and dusted off!) my violin, and gave Grace a music lesson! Now it's been years since I have truly played and my violin is MUCH too big for Miss Thang, but it was FUN! And Grace was really interested in the instrument. Plus it filled the time and kept the children (well..okay ONE child--I think Sam climbed up on the couch during this time and jumped up and down, he had no interest but whatever...) from revolting...
I showed Grace how to tuck the violin under her chin, how to stand (this is actually the first thing I remember learning...), and how to draw the bow across the strings--keeping the bow between the bridge of the violin and the fingerboard...





As you can see...someone snapped pics...our beloved Daddy came home during this time and caught us on camera. We LOVE when Daddy comes home!

3 comments:

Emily P said...

Well, first off.... you are both beyond beautiful..... secondly, Good job Gracie! What a neato Momma you have! I am sure music will come quite easily to Grace...she really can't help it with all of her haritage! Thanks Dan for the pics!

Margaret said...

Haha! I wondered what violin you could possibly have that was too SMALL for Grace ... I see that you meant too BIG. :)

Also, your hair is SO DARNED PRETTY. It's like beautiful, shiny honey!

You should find that girl a 1/16 size violin. They're like $15 on eBay, I'm told. :)

Tara said...

Not that I want other people to have a "crazy hour", but it's awfully comforting to know that my kids aren't the only ones to drive their mama to a near breaking point in the afternoons! What a neat thing to do with Grace. I'll bet she felt like quite a big girl!