Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Preschoolers and pumpkins


Grace's preschool class went on a field trip to Pumpkins Etc. Yah, that's the real name of the place...I don't make this stuff up, people. And it truly WAS Pumpkins Etc. There were, of course, pumpkins, and then there was the "etc"...meaning....
in numerous cats and kittens,
("NO Grace...we absolutely cannot take 'just one' home with us...NO Lance (our resident cat) does not need a friend...NO! Stop squeezing the kitten! He doesn't want kisses....oh just put the poor animal DOWN!!")

beautiful potted mums,

grass and hay mazes,
**And...just for clarification...the hay maze was meant to be walked through, not on. The kids, however, were itching to climb onto of those huge bales of hay and practice their balancing (and falling) skills...All the parents said "no"...but Mrs. Sheri (Grace's teacher) hopped right up on a ginormous bale of hay and lead the way. Very quickly a trail of 4 year olds joined her. THIS is the very moment I fell in love with my daughter's Pre-K teacher...**


and a really amazing old farmer man by the name of Bob (sorry, I didn't get a pic of Farmer Bob) Bob taught the kids a lot about the different types of pumpkins and squash...heck, he taught me a lot about pumpkins and squash. It was a very informative trip...for both mom and daughter. Did you know that loofah sponges come from SQUASH!? No...for real...they do. Amazing. We had a great time. Grace picked her very own 4 year old sized pumpkin (the band-aid on her forehead is from an injury involving a flying toy courtesy of baby brother)
And I picked MY very own 40lb pumpkin. Get this...the place had a "dent and ding"
section...Except they called it "tired and weary pumpkins"...some had missing stems, others had a small rotten place...they weren't "pretty" but they were cheap. $1!!!! I couldn't pass it up, I picked one with a small rotting place in the back, otherwise it was very beautiful...so if you stop by our house, don't miss the very LARGE pumpkin on the front porch.
We had a fantastic time. We learned a lot. We walked away with, yah know, pumpkin's....etc....

2 comments:

The Luke Family's Home Page said...

Ms. Sheri is a God send, I tell you. Wait until Christmas and Easter. You'll love her even more. Sarah STILL talks about her. She was truly sent by God to be a preschool teacher.

Margaret said...

Tired and weary pumpkins! Ha! I love it. I have one of those out in my front yard. I think I should probably carve the others soon!