Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Great Pumpkin

"Scoop out the inside of a pumpkin,



(Note Sam's grin in this picture. Danny has coined name for this "signature smile" of our sweet Sam. I cannot type it hear, as we have little eyes reading...catch my drift?)



(Please, try your very best to ignore the fact that the baby is sitting on the table...)

(I got the glamorous job of scooping out the "guts"...but then I baked the pumpkin seeds. YUM! One of my absolute favorite traditions from when I was a child. The smell of those seeds, seasoned and roasting, rushes in a wave of delicious memories for me.)



Give it a mouth,

(Sam was totally into the entire process. From scooping out the guts, to "helping" Danny carve the design. I think it was because it involved tools...this kid LOVES tools)

(Grace, however, wanted NOTHING to do with the carving of the celebratory squash, and after the obligatory pictures, recruited Paw-paw to help her with a puzzle.)


A nose,

(SUCH concentration!!! I love this expression on Danny's face. This is serious business!)

and two big eyes.

(Sweet, strong hands of the men I love. And NO! That is not a knife in Sam's hand...again, please pretend not to notice!...But for the record, he actually knew what to do with the knife....which is cool and scary all at once)


Put a light inside the pumpkin...Wheee!
A Halloween surprise!"
(Okay, okay...so it's not a "mouth, a nose, and two big eyes" like the song says...but I think it's way better!!)

3 comments:

Emily P said...

Oh My! I am laughing soooo hard! Love this series of pics! Can't wait to see you all!

Tasha said...

Wonderful job all! I couldn't help but notice...but why do you have silverware framed and hanging on your wall??? (I like it!)

Kathryn said...

Tasha! The silverware that is framed is my great-grandmother's silverware. Each great-grandchild got a setting of her silver. They never had much, but this is one thing we had passed down to us. I cherish it!!! I never knew what to do with it, but was watching an HGTV show one day and saw a designer frame silverware as decor for a kitchen...a light came on and I thought "THAT is what I should do with Granny's silver setting!!"