Thursday, March 18, 2010

One morning last week, it was during a time that Earl was out of town...I'm sure of that, because normally Grace and Earl get up early and eat breakfast and discuss world issues...I do not get up early. Nope. I like to sleep. I do not talk in the morning...much less discuss world issues. So on this particular morning Grace got up, quietly went into the living room,making certain not to disturb the sleeping "mommy dragon" from her slumber, and switched on the television. All. by. herself. I guess the last channel I had watched the night before was TLC. And apparently at 7am in the morning, TLC broadcasts "The Baby Story" directly followed by "A Wedding Story" (though shouldn't it be the other way around?) Now before you say anything, let me inform you...she knows how to change the channel to 70...also known as the Disney channel, but on this day she chose to watch "reality" TV...fantastic. I stumbled out of bed somewhere between the end of "The Baby Story" and the beginning of "A Wedding Story"...and Grace greeted me with a beaming smile and said "MOMMY! I watched the cutest baby be borning!!! An' now...this lady is getting married!" Note to self: when Earl travels, make sure the TV channel is set on something appropriate for a 5 year old. Lesson learned. Thank you.
Anyway...since then...Grace has become a fan of any wedding reality show (thank goodness she did not become a fan of birthing reality shows--it's the little things in life we are to be thankful for people.) Be it "Bridezillas" or "Platinum Weddings"...."A Wedding Story" or that one about choosing the perfect dress (the name escapes me). And she will tell you in no uncertain terms that she is going to marry Connor, a dear friend of hers she has known since birth. But last weekend....well, I did her one better...I took her to a real, live, not seen on TV wedding.
She was so "de-cited"


We wore our pretty dresses...

I even took her "backstage" before the wedding to see the bride in her beautiful dress...

Isn't she pretty? This is my dear childhood friend Katy. We have known each other for a very long time. We have sold many Girl Scout cookies, if I began to add them up...your head would spin. We traveled Europe together. Got our Girl Scout Gold together. Were camp counselors together. She is a friend in all seasons of life and now, in this very precious season of her life, she was able to make a very wonderful memory for my wedding obsessed 5 year old. Thanks Katy. Congratulations. You are a beautiful bride.

And Katy, I promise, when your time comes and you make your own "not seen on TV" version of The Baby Story...I will not, I repeat will not, bring my 5 year old.

No comments: