Friday, September 24, 2010

My blog title

I thought about changing the title of my blog.  It was created late at night...I sorta just pulled it out of the dusty corners of my brain.  I thought recently that since this blog has been something like a journal of our family, I should rename it to reflect our family.  But then I got to thinking...
I like the title.
It has sentimental meaning.
To me at least.
So, you ask, what exactly does "Smile as Big as You Can" mean anyway?
Well...it all started with this guy...
He's my dad...
also answers to "BikeMan" and Grandpa Trumpet.  Because he likes to ride a bike...and he's a professional trumpet player. 
He's also sorta a goofball.  Under his calm demeanor he is one of the funniest men I know.  He's quiet though, so you gotta listen closely.  (But really, who can blame the man for being quiet...surrounded by three LOUD women for most of his adult life?  It's a miracle he's not been institutionalized...)
See?  Goof.ball.  In his defense, this picture was taken somewhere around mile 70 of a 100 mile bike ride.  Remember?  He likes to ride a bike...like...a lot.  Borders on insane. 
He is the inspiration behind the title of this blog.  Smile as Big as You Can.  When my sister and I were little girls, we used to say "Daddy!  Smile as big as you can."  And being the indulgent father he was/is he would stop what he was doing and smile.  BIG.  As big as he could.  Read Cheshire Cat big.  Showing all your teeth and most of you gums big.  Make your mouth hurt big.  It was great.  And we would tumble over in peals of little girl laughter.  I'm not sure how it started (Daddy, if you're reading this...where did it start?) but it is a rich memory for me.  And sometimes...now, as a grown woman with babies of my own...when the day is draggin' on, I take a deep breath and remember to smile.  As big as I can.  And it helps....and it makes me laugh...and it bubbles up a warm memory in my heart.  Of a daddy who taught me and continues to teach me that life is lived one minute...one day...one smile at a time. 
I married a man just like my father in so many ways.  Quiet, funny, obsessed with a bicycle, and above all a great daddy to my children.  A daddy who will make a fool of himself just to hear his little girl squeal with laughter.  So...I'm gonna leave the title as it is.  I like it.  DADDY!  Smile!!!...As big as you can...

1 comment:

Toni said...

Well, THIS one made yer Daddy tear up a little....He sure does love you, Kate-o....Probably your biggest fan. From the very moment you first saw the light of day, he was taken in by you.....
xoxox Momma