Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sam is has started talking...it's something I have worried about. His speech...or really, his lack of speech. He's been reserved for the better part of his short 2 1/2 years with us. Who can blame the boy? His sister never shuts up. She talks for him. She talks to him. She talks...all. the. time. But now that she is in school for the better part of the day, in the silence Sam has found his voice. He's always been funny. Silly. A goofball. And now that he has narrative to work with? Well...he's reached a whole new level of funny.
I wanted to write this down so that I won't forget it...it has made me chuckle most of the day....
Today we went to Kohl's to get a Christmas gift for Grace. (She wants those Twinkle Toes light up shoes...who am I to say "no"? Lights? Rhinestones? Where do I sign?) When we walked into the store Sam started saying "Uh-oh mommy...Uh-0h...Mommy! Uh-oh!!! UH-OH!! MOM!!!" He was quite frantic, and at first I thought maybe he had dropped something, but he quickly clarified the problem for me. "MOMMY!! Heads! Uh-oh! Heads...gone! Uh-oh!" And then I saw what I have failed to see on previous shopping trips. The mannequins at Kohl's?...they're headless. I have to say, it is quite disturbing. And I can't believe I've never noticed it before. Not one mannequin had a head...not. a. single. one. In the entire store. I know this because Sam pointed out each and every plastic display..."mommy...uh-oh...heads" He got rather quiet as we rolled through the store...mumbled to himself. I don't think he ever quite understood why they were headless...but come to think of it...I don't think I quite understand either.

Talking Sam. Funny Sam. Oh Sam....

1 comment:

Toni said...

QUITE an observation. Wonder if it's gonna impact him later on...If he'll actually be Drawn towards headless wimmen....Never know....
Remember one Christmas at the cabin when Isaac saw a shadow on the wall and said it was an elephant....I think he was about 2 then, too....

Great post...xoxoxo Momma