Monday, July 4, 2011

Grace dances.

It's the afternoon of July 4th.  We spent the morning at a parade in a small town near where we live.  Then we went to the store and bought beer and ingredients to make homemade vanilla ice cream.  I've been cooking most of the afternoon.  Zucchini squash quiche, a family favorite.  Fresh corn.  Peach Pie.  Sliced tomatoes and cantaloupe. The house is dripping with the smells of summer food.  Earl is outside mowing.  Sam has been attempting and mostly failing to nap.  Grace has been in and out, in and out...
"SHUTTHATDOORYOU'RELETTINGTHEBOUGHTAIROUT!!!"
...in and out.  Life is grand. 
I took a break from cooking to spend some time on the treadmill (Gotta work off all that butter and sugar and cream somehow!) and when I finished, I couldn't find Grace anywhere.  I couldn't find Earl anywhere for that matter.  The mower was silent.  The house was silent (Sam finally gave into sleep).  Maybe they went to get fireworks.  Maybe they went over to the neighbor's house.  I spent 10 minutes searching for half of my family before I spotted them in the school playground behind the house...hitting golf balls together...and cheering after each swing.  Have I mentioned?...Life is grand. 

But on to Grace and dancing.  Here are the annual pictures of Grace performing in her dance recital.  It never gets old...all the sparkles and sequins and frill.  This tomboy must admit...I really like dressing up my little "doll"...Toddlers and Tieras watch out!  And yes...yes I did put mascara on my 6 year old.  Don't be a hater. 
 The boys waited in the auditorium while I got Grace situated back stage. 
 And then the show began.
There was some brief hesitation.  The lights are bright! The music is loud! Are we all together?  Where's my mom sitting?  Oh!  There she is!  *Frantic waving*
 
There was some shuffle-ball-chaining...
 
 And then just as quickly as it began...it was over.  There was a bow.  And then quick quick backstage for a costume change.
 Because it wasn't really over.  When you start Kindergarten you get to dance two dances.  The second dance was a jazz dance.  And my favorite!
 There was some singing along....
 And some terribly cute little poses...
 I love this picture below.  See the cutie in the back row?  She's dancing to the beat of her very own little drum.  A-dor-a-ble!!!
 And then it was really over...no really...that's the end. 
Take a bow baby girl...you are a rockstar.
The obligatory family photo with the dancer...by this point, baby brother was D-U-N.  3 out of 4 smiling for the camera...we'll take it. 
Okay...back to the kitchen.  There is pie to be made.

No comments: