Sunday, July 27, 2008

'Kay notes from church

James 1:19-21
"Post this at all the intersections, dear friends: Lead with your ears, follow up with you tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear. God's righteousness doesn't grow from human anger. So throw all spoiled virtue and cancerous evil in the garbage. In simple humility, let our gardener, God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation-garden of your life." (The Message)

Cultivating Kindness: No Grapes of Wrath Here by David Isreal (Danny took the notes because Sam was nursing--shocking, I know!--and my hands were full so I'll just type out what he wrote down.)
**In the presence of rudeness, be kind (reminded me--Kathryn here--of my daddy)
**Chose to live in a kind way. Remove negativity. Do not allow the circumstances of your life to cause negativity.
**Kind people reduce stress. I.E. Like during a fight or a tense meeting--kindness diffuses the situation
**Take a step to become more positive
**Remember: God has been SO kind to you, therefore you are called to participate in the kindness of the world.
**Go beyond what is reasonable, give kindness that cannot be reciprocated
**The pastor ended with the Boy Scout motto of "Do a good turn daily"...I didn't know he was a boy scout until he talked about it this morning...but now that I THINK on it, it really doesn't surprise me!

I also like the idea of God being our gardener and we, as Christians, being "landscaped" in His Word.
Okay...that's all for today. I'd love to hear your thoughts. And yes, Emily, I'm almost CERTAIN to post something re. vaccines...

3 comments:

Glenda said...

I love the notes and can't wait to hear more. I agree - if we respond with kindness we defuse a situation. I love & miss you so much sweet sister!

Emily P said...

hey baby girl. thanks for the sermon! didn't get to attend ours today. I was hangin out with the kids and talking about our sweet Mrs Renee, our children's pastor. she left (she didn't die, as people of this world do) yesterday because of a terrible car accident and our kids of the church are really missing her. what a legacy she left. kids are changed forever bc of her. this definition of kindness makes me think of her. she exercised all of this practice. and your'e right, reminds me of daddy too. that is a gift he taught and still teaches.

Jill said...

Kindness is so important...I really like this =)...My mom always used to say "kill 'em with kindness"!!! It's true, you'll knock people's socks off with one kind word, especially in a difficult situation...hardest thing to do sometimes =). Thank you so much for sharing this. I can't wait to hear more....Jill