Tuesday, August 19, 2008

How to wear a baby...



Some have asked what "happy as an African bush baby" means (in a previous post)...Babies in Africa are hardly ever put down. They are carried most of the day and have unlimited access to their mother and their mother's breasts. They have no strict schedule and hardly ever cry. In order to carry a baby most of the day and continue to do activities of daily living without dropping the baby or throwing one's back out many "baby wraps" have been designed. When I discovered I was pregnant with Sam, I decided I would only put him down if I HAD too...so I began to research "how to wear your baby". There are several different kinds...the traditional "Snugli" or front pack (sold at Wal-Mart--please don't waste you $$ on this one), I also have what is called "The Ultimate Baby Wrap" and while this is VERY functional and causes minimal strain on one's back, it is HOT (oh, how I HATE to be hot!) and complicated (even after mastering the application after many uses). I finally have decided that my VERY favortite is the Maya style baby sling. It's SO simple!!! About 7 yards of fabric with a very strong set of "sling rings" attatched to one end...It is easy to use and very compact (meaning it tucks away nicely in my purse). With this baby wrap, Sam and I function very well as "one" person...he is happy on my hip and very rarely cries...it is a wonderful way to raise a baby and I cherish every single moment I have this tiny boy close to my heart. Someday he'll be a big hairy man...right now, at this very second, he is a sweet smelling little baby tucked away in a sling on my hip. I believe we'd get along quite nicely in Africa...well, except that I hate being hot.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh Kathryn, your blogs are delightful. I read them and feel like I'm visiting with you they are so YOU! I think I will have to make them part of my morning routine!
Love ya

Anonymous said...

Remind me of this invention when I decide to start a family. - Katy

Kasey said...

thanks for the clarification. I also decided with my second that I would hold him alot more too. you just cherish the moments you have with them all you can!

Margaret said...

You just look so slim and lovely in your pictures, Kathryn. The Maya wrap doesn't hurt your shoulder? Beth really loves her mei-tei style carrier for Henry. Of course, he's a lot bigger than Sam...