Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bronchitis...lovely

I get this stuff twice a year. It is something I have inherited from my momma...cheers to the gene pool. BRONCHITIS. Lovely, just lovely. I'm nursing people...yes, sustaining human life with my very own breasts. It's one of my superpowers. *cue music and tight costume* What does breastfeeding have to do with bronchitis you ask....lots. The most wonderful thing is that Sam is getting all of my lovely immunities in the liquid gold that is breast milk and will likely NOT get a touch of the crud...if he does, it will be very mild. (I told Danny I was thinking of drinking my OWN breast milk with my coffee this morning...he did not scoff at the idea...he chuckled...my how he has grown in 6+ years) There are other things however that make having both bronchitis and a breastfeeding baby complicated.
1) Bronchitis=coughing. And in MY case, a seal-like barking cough. Most violent and loud. This keeps me from sleeping and has been known to wake my sleeping baby (he is a light sleeper...like his momma)
2) I am a stay at home momma. That is my job. If I had any other "normal" job and contracted a nasty case of bronchitis, I would call my employer and take a day to rest to recuperate. Ha ha ha ha...have you MET my employers?? They would not let me "call in" (I tried)...and often act JUST LIKE CHILDREN. I cannot call in...my job doesn't "end"....as I type--comfortable curled in my chair--employer #2 is escaping down the hallway toward the toilet "Yay, fun! Water play!" ACK!
3) When I get bronchitis, PLEASE don't tell me to "drink hot tea" and "get lots of rest" and all of that other holistic crap. I truly believe in being "hippy" about lots of things (breastfeeding, cloth diapers, recycling, thrift stores...) but I also believe in the power of medicine. GIVE ME DRUGS....bring 'em on. Cough suppressant, expectorant, decongestant...GIVE 'EM. BUT all of these medicines effect Sam's milk in one way or another. Decongestant dries ALL bodily secretions, including breast milk. Cough medicines are transferred to milk and often make a baby VERY groggy...scary stuff. And so I am left with "hot tea" and "lots of rest" Ha ha ha ha ha...right. Can you put whiskey in hot tea?
4) And finally the worst part of it all. I have NO voice. I am a MOTHER...I yell...sometimes a lot. I also sing my children to sleep. I miss my voice when it is gone (Danny doesn't and I'm beginning Grace is starting to "catch on" to the fact that mommy has lost another one of her "superpowers") It is rather frustrating to be so silent when the world around me is aflutter with talk. Sam said "Dada" yesterday--BOTH of my offspring's first word (figures)....normally I would be IN HIS FACE encouraging him to say "mama mama mama". I like to talk and yell and sing...But, as Grace says, my throat is "cracked"....
So please...pray for me...but don't call me and tell me to "drink hot tea"...it would be a one-sided conversation after all...

3 comments:

Emily P said...

Hey Kato- You know what you need to do? Same thing I do when I have lost my voice... There's this great hot tea..... Stop me if you have heard this. Also, carrot juice is good for respitory health. Go to HyVee and look in their organic section for some of that "said" tea. I WANNA GO TO HYVEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! I love you and I will be there VERY soon to teach Sam how to say "Emi".... I mean "Mamamama". I love you!

Toni said...

Actually, the decongestants and antihistimines tend to make one Worse, if you ask me. A little bit of hot lemon juice,honey, and whiskey will cure you right up! AND, it's good for your milk.

Now, go do yer nails and allow yourself to work for Minimum Wage for a few days....
xoxoo Momma

Stephanie said...

Someone told me that if you put vix vapor rub on the soles of your feet and cover them with socks it's suppost to help a cough. My friend swares by it, but my momma said it didn't work.

I think you can put whisky in tea. Or just drink the whisky straight. Not sure what it will do to your milk though. Your little boy might be feeling really good for a few days....lol. (Totally kidding, I know you don't know me very well, or really at all)