Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Overwhelming

I cannot begin to imagine
the emotions she felt.
I remember,
vividly,
the first time I held my children,
slippery newborns, blinking in the light.
I remember the wave of pain,
the "surge" of labor,
the fear,
the excitement,
the uncertainty that is life.
My body,
bringing life into this world...
But I cannot begin to imagine
Mary.
What must it have been like
to feel that same surge,
to hear Jesus
cry,
to cradle his slippery newborn body,
to put Him to her breast and
know
that the Savior of the world
has come?
She held the King of Kings.
She kissed His sweet baby face.
I am certain she counted His fingers and toes
and wondered what color His eyes would be.
I marvel at my own children;
At their tiny fingers and sparkling eyes.
I drink in their smell.
I kiss them as they sleep,
and my mind is overwhelmed with joy,
and worry,
and love.
But I cannot begin to imagine
Mary.
What must she have pondered
and tucked away in her heart?
The thought overwhelms me
humbles me
brings me to my knees

2 comments:

Renee' said...

I commented on your comment under my comments. :-) LOL.

Tasha said...

That is such a beautiful thought...I never thought about it that way. I am so in love with my children I cannot imagine her feelings, her thoughts, but I am sure that she loved him with all her heart...as only a mother can.