Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Exercising my brain

I spend most of my day putting out fires started by my very own High Queen of Drama...ahem...sorry...Grace, and wiping various stinky and sticky places on a little boy who manages to get dirty and disgusting only 5 minutes after getting dressed for the day. So...I figured I needed to exercise this brain of mine, you know, give it a little stimulation, a little run for it's exhausted money (other than Facebook and blog stalking of course)...so I've started reading more, MUCH more. It's something I've always enjoyed, but just stopped doing once children took over my days. So with the help of a ROCKING garage sale loaded with hundreds of great books priced to sell, my arsonel is loaded, and I find myself wanting to read all. the. time.
I started with several Dean Kootz books. I can read through one of those in about 24 hours...I'm not sure if it's the fact that the man is a fantastic writer or if I'm so dang scared I just wanna hurry up and get to the "happy" ending. But then last week I picked up a book called "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs...and let me tell ya, loyal blog readers, this is one of THE BEST books I've read in a long time! It's about an agnostic guy who decides for one year to literally LIVE the bible--Here's a little bit about the book:

"The Year of Living Biblically answers the question: What if a modern-day American followed every single rule in the Bible as literally as possible. Not just the famous rules – the Ten Commandments and Love Thy Neighbor (though certainly those). But the hundreds of oft-ignored ones: don’t wear clothes of mixed fibers. Grow your beard. Stone adulterers. A.J. Jacobs’ experiment is surprising, informative, timely and funny. It is both irreverent and reverent. It seeks to discover what’s good in the Bible and what is maybe not so relevant to 21st century life. And it will make you see the Good Book with new eyes. Thou shalt not put it down."

....and...here's his website

I'm only halfway through...but I just want to shout from the top of Blog Mountain "READ THIS BOOK"!!!!!!!!!!! It's funny, it's heartwarming, it's making me a better Christian...

P.S. Oh...and A.J. Jacobs...if you're reading this (you said you often "goggle" your name)...that is just so way beyond cool...please...leave a comment :)

No comments: