Monday, October 6, 2008

Not a very glamorous job...

...but it's MY job...This weekend I noticed that Sam's right eye was a little red. It got worse as the weekend wore on, so I put in a call to the "nurse line" at our doctor's office. After reviewing his symptoms with the nurse (red eye, no goop, light sensitivity) she concluded that it was "just" a corneal abrasion and suggested flushing the eye with saline solution. If conditions did not improve, I was instructed to make an appt. with my doc on Monday morning. Fast forward to Monday morning...Sam wakes up with a goopy, red eye...ick...I get on the phone to the doctor's office and the little girl on the other end of the phone says "Can you be here in 20 minutes?"--But of course I can, because I am Wonder Woman...Let's back up just a wee bit here...Grace has also not been feeling well and is in full on "cranky three year old girl drama" mode, I am baby-sitting my neighbor's 15 month old little boy, Ayden, and ALL THREE children are still in PJ's, eating breakfast...the house is TRASHED (with a capital "T") and I am fresh off the treadmill in a ratty t-shirt and work-out pants...I have NOT brushed my teeth, I DO NOT smell good...SURE I can be there in 20 minutes...SURE....Let me wave my magic wand...people, I made it to the doctor's office in UNDER 20 minutes. This includes prying an eating toddler out of a highchair as he's grabbing for grapes, putting all three kids safely into car seats (with the help of my sweet husband), popping a piece of gum in my mouth while spraying some car air freshener on my shirt so I smell "fresh", THEN UN-loading all three kids, putting two of them in strollers (Sam pooped somewhere during all this loading and un-loading), and sprinting to the elevator with a three year old screaming "ABRE!!" at the automatic sliding doors (Abre means "open" in Spanish...Grace thinks if she doesn't say this, the doors won't open...right) I MADE it....Oh and Sam has pink eye. Glamorous? No. Worth it? Absolutely...

3 comments:

Toni said...

Sounds to ME like you Might be learning how to DO mornings....Good job, Kate-o. Wouldn't it be Great someday to wake up and have NOTHING to do?! We'd probably hate it. xoxoxo

Margaret said...

Wow. Poor little Sam. And poor the rest of you. It's pretty hard not to touch a little guy like Sam. Good luck staying goop-free!!!

Tara said...

Sounds like quite an adventure! I love the part about Grace yelling "ABRE!" Evie does that kind of stuff, too. Hilarious! And why is it that babies either poop or puke at the worst times?? Hope Sam's eye is doing better. We've had a couple bouts of pink eye around here. No fun, but it could be worse.