Thursday, October 9, 2008

We are connected...more than we know...

Today was an absolutely beautiful fall day. I couldn't have ordered better weather. So in celebration of a day like today, my children and I went to the Kansas City Zoo. There were several school buses of children arriving at the same time we arrived, so I told Grace "Let's go fast in our stroller so that we can get ahead of this big group of kids. Plus I THINK if we hurry, it's early enough, some of the animals might still be eating their breakfast." She was ALL for the "plan" and we went on our way. Sure enough, the elephants were eating their breakfast (hay) and we got to talk about how they use their trunks like hands. And the rhino was eating his breakfast (hay...must be a favorite) and we got to talk about his BIG horns. And the giraffes were eating their breakfast (leaves) and we BOTH learned that the giraffe's tongue is prehensile...meaning they can grab things with it like a finger. And finally, the chimps were eating their breakfast (fruits and veges)...the viewing pavilion for the chimps is set WAAAY back in the corner of the zoo. Lots of shade, very quiet. We (Grace, Sam, and I) were the only people in the building (good idea, huh? zooming ahead of the big group!) It was a calming place, I'd almost be willing to call it "sanctuary"...there was only one chimp out, but I told Grace that we would sit for awhile and see if any of the others joined him. She was content with that, going about her three and half year old business...exploring, touching, observing...we weren't talking. Which is weird for BOTH of us. Usually we are filling up the air with talking, lots of talking. But today we were quiet, still even...it was a state I don't find myself in much lately. It was a moment in my life when NOTHING--absolutely NOTHING--was buzzing through my brain. I could FEEL the world around me...my breath--rhythmically in and out, in and out...I could almost SEE myself relaxing...see Grace relaxing. It was a peace. And then the chimps began to arrive--at least 8 to 10 of them. Foraging for food...beginning their day...knowing more than we give them credit for. One chimp had a baby clinging to her back. He was little, littler than Sam. Eyes wide. Clinging to his mother. Learning about the world. The mama chimp gathered food for a bit with baby in tow, then "passed" him off to another chimp who took him behind a big rock--I told Grace he "needed a nap". Mama chimp remained...searching for food, drinking from the watering hole. I watched her...silent. A beautiful creature indeed. Dark eyes, strong body, and breasts--obviously being used to nurse her baby--full and heavy with milk. At this point, Sam broke the peace around us...he was hungry. There is NO doubt when Sam is hungry...he has an almost annoying grunt of a cry. I scooped him out of his seat in the stroller, pulled my shirt up discretely, and brought him to my breast. It was at this point, mama chimp took an intense interest in me. She quickly scurried over to the glass that was dividing us--man and primate. And got as close as she could to me--closer than you sit with someone at the dinner table. She looked at Sam nursing heartily...then looked at me straight in the eyes...then back at Sam...then back to me...back and forth, back and forth with SUCH interest and knowing. I swear she was grinning. Then she tapped the glass with her fist. Sam finished quickly as he does now that he is a "professional" nurser and I left my breast exposed. Mama chimp seemed absolutely amazed that I was doing exactly what she does with HER baby. She couldn't take her eyes off me...As I tucked my breast back into my shirt, she looked at me as if to say "Well, now that's silly. Why are you putting it away? Won't your baby NEED that?" I sat Sam up, feet against the glass...touching mama chimp had it not been for the divider. Again, she seemed to smile and again, she tapped the glass (softer this time). There are no words to explain what I felt in this moment. I could only praise God for gifting me with it. It was certainly spiritual...And then, the crowd caught up and a twirling group of school children came through the door and mama chimp was gone. There are certain "movies" of my life I'd like to replay in heaven...this is one of them.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

I love this story, Kathryn.

Kasey said...

That is an awesome story!! Have you thought about writing books? I love your stories.

Sherry said...

Thank you for this story of your precious experience. God grant us the ability to "see" as you saw and take such riches into our souls. I love you, Sweet Girl!
Aunt Sherry

Sherry said...

Kathryn, would that I had this sensitivity that you have. This is a gift. I know that your blogs WILL be published some day. I am certain of it. So sweet and touching. I love you, Aunt Sherry

Sherry said...

So sweet and touching, Kathryn. You WILL be published some day. Love, Aunt Sherry