Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas past.

Sunday morning--before church (read: the kids get up super early so we have lots of chillaxin time)--Grace and I sat together and looked through hundreds and hundreds of pictures and videos.  We began with those of Grace, when she was a baby, and worked our way up to Sam's first few months of life before we had to pry ourselves off the couch and head to worship.
I was amazed!  I see these children day to day to mundane day.  They look the same to me as they did the day they were born.  Except for a few teeth thrown in here and there, and oh yeh, they walk and talk...  Okay so maybe they don't seem the same as they did when they were born, but I suppose what I'm trying to get across here is that I don't notice how quickly and drastically they change when I'm living life with them up close and personal.  I guess you could say I can't "see the forest for the trees"...I'm just putting puzzle pieces together and I forgot to step back and take a look at the big picture...
So...here's me...stepping back...
Allow me to present...
a little snap shot...
Christmas past. 

2005.  Grace's first Christmas.  She looks like a little doll.  Look at those teeny tiny delicate fingers.  Oh...we prayed for her so long and hard.  And she came rolling into our lives and we have never been the same.  She sat and stared at that tree for over 20 minutes.  Never touched a ribbon.  Never pulled an ornament.  Never tore a package.  Just looked...in complete awe. And we experienced Christmas for the first time as parents.  Thank you Grace for that gift...making Earl and me parents.

2006.  I couldn't find a picture of Grace during her second Christmas with us.  I'll have to dig deeper.  But...if you wanna come over...my very favorite picture of her is framed on our mantle.  She was 18 months old.  We took her to see Santa...cause that's what you do...right?  She was dressed in the most darling pink dress...the cuffs were faux fur lined, the fabric was covered in a dusting of glitter.  We placed her on Santa's lap.  And she. began. to. WAIL.  and kick. and flail.  Santa sat stoically, a tight grip around her waist.  This was not his first rodeo.  A picture was taken.  Grace was released from the fat man's lap, and the yearly tradition was complete.  The picture?  It's priceless.  It makes me giggle everytime I walk by it.

2007.  Her third Christmas.  Her last one alone.  We had just moved.  Life was upside down and inside out.  But she was still Grace...still twirling.  I couldn't find a picture of her sitting still to save my life.  Or with any clothes on....

2008.  And then there were two.  Sam's first Christmas.  Grace's fourth.  Goodness how quickly my little doll grew!  But those eyes!!!
...michef...wonder...excitement... 
Little brother.  He's always had a rather worried look plastered on his face.  I don't blame him.  He came into a diva's world but he learned quickly to sit back and enjoy the ride. 
 He also was the exact opposite of his big sister in regards to respect of the Christmas tree and its decorations.  He ate everything off the tree.  Ornaments. Tinsel.  Ribbon.  I think he was part goat that first year. 

2009.  Grace's fifth Christmas.  Sam's second. 
 Also known as the year Grace played the part of Mary in her own self-directed Christmas pagent....
 And baby brother played the part of Herod....you can read about that here.
  


Christmas 2010.  Grace's sixth.  Sam's third.  The annual photo.  Nobody cried.  Kinda makes a momma wanna cry... 

Merry Christmas. 
I know I say this a lot on here.  Time goes quickly.  Take lots of pictures. 

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I loved seeing that, Kathryn. Pictures of Grace are just how I remember you.

Toni said...

Hmmmmmm....Margaret,you don't know the HALF of it :-)