Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sentimental.

I've become a bit...sentimental. You see, I have this kindergartener living in my house.  Who IS she?  I'm not the mom to a kindergartener...to an "almost 6 year old"..to a child with loose teeth...a child with legs so long they spill off my lap when I hold her....a child that can read real books and even sound-out words her father and I spell out in hopes that she can't understand us, like some sort of secret parental code.  
 Nonononononononno...it can't be true! 
But there's this voice inside me that screams "Believe it!" and I find myself sitting so still, soaking it in...praising God for the blessing of my children.  Begging Him to help me remember when they were little...what they sounded like...what their hand felt like in mine...the weight of them in my arms.  Asking Him to tuck these things back into a special part of my mind...a place I can easily access and remember. 
It's only been 5 1/2 years....and my brain. is. full.  I feel like I am forgetting.   I'm scared that I will get swept up in the sea of everyday life and lose the sweet memories of my children when they were little.  I often ask God to help me remember!
God is good.
And He answers every prayer.
It's just how He answers them.
He's creative.
He created us in His image.
We are creative.
And so I am praising God this morning for creating the person who created video cameras.
In my weepy mommy sentimental "why are my kids growing so fast?" moments...I sit at the computer and watch the loads of video we have captured in 5 1/2 short years.
It makes me laugh
It makes me cry.
It helps me remember.
And in the spirit of the season...I wanted to share this one with you...
Grace is 2 1/2 here.  She is the same age in this video as Sam is now.  Crazy.  Her language ability has always been, well, insane.  (I would liken Sam's language ability to that of a caveman...) She started talking at 10 months, and hasn't stopped since.  Enjoy.  And this morning?...let's praise God for children, and videos cameras, and Christmas.
And just so you know, she loves Santa now. And to think, it only took 3 years of SCREAMING when she saw him to get over her inborn fear.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Reminds me of the time you and Em were playing cowboys and indians...Emily said that she had shot one of your "men." And you told her, "No...he's not dead. His dad was with him....." Amazing how you grew up to choose someone so Close to this guy...