Sunday, December 12, 2010

We went to Dallas over Thanksgiving.  A blog devoted soley to that trip will be posted--with pictures- shortly (Not "shortly" as in tonight or even tomorrow, but I'll get to it...)  The reason I am telling you this is to lay some groundwork for what I'd like to share with you in this post.
During our time in Dallas we went to visit Earl's uncle Robert.  This is Earl's daddy's older brother.  Robert has a wife named Derelyne.  Family member's lovingly call her "Aunt D"...and boy howdy, she fits that name like a glove!  I immediately took to this woman!  Such a warm personality with fantastic memories of my mother-in-law.  Memories that will have you rolling on the floor with laughter, wishing someone had warned you to go pee...  She shared her peanut brittle receipe with me and made me a fresh cup of coffee.  Aunt D...if you're reading this, the visit with you was the highlight of my trip.  She also shared something else with me.  A picture.  Of Earl's grandpa.  I haven't heard much about the man...just that he lived into his 90's.  I couldn't even tell you his name...
Oh...wait...Earl says his name is Walter.  Walter Robert he thinks.
But when I saw his picture I was speechless...
Here let me show you...
Are you seeing what I'm seeing??  That's Earl...20 years from now! 
See??  Do you see the uncanny freakish similarity??  Even down to how they BOTH went bald the same. exact. way....
I always thought that Earl looked like his momma.  And he does.  Blond hair, blue eyes...short, strong legs. You see, Earl's daddy is over 6 foot.  Earl is by no means over 6 foot.  I can't wear heels because my 5'7" self would be taller than my husband...apparently though Earl's grandfather was not tall like his son (height came from a nameless uncle), but on the shorter side...like his grandson...Earl.  Are you still with me?  I'm starting to confuse myself.  And that sweet round face I fell in love with?  Well...that's from Grandpa Walter too.
If you had asked me before Thanksgiving, before seeing this photo if Earl looked like his daddy's side of the family, I woulda said "Nah...not really"...
But then I saw this photo!  Crazy...just crazy. 
Good to know that my sweet husband will age gracefully.
Thanks Aunt Dee...for the peanut brittle, the coffee, and the history.

1 comment:

Emily P said...

LOVE IT!!!! Cute pic of you and Dan too!