Thursday, September 25, 2008

What a morning!!!

We have two big dogs that live in the house. They love us, they tolerate our children, they are members of our "pack"...We also have a BIG wool area rug in our living room (don't worry this will all make sense in just a few short paragraphs) This particular rug was a bought for a DEAL at only $188...I was thrilled to find it at such a fantastic price and it lookED great in our living room. Well, about 2 months after we bought this beautiful rug...Simon (one of the aforementioned dogs) chewed a small corner off of it. It is pure miracle that he is still living after doing such a thing, but I found a way to "hide" the "defect" and we went along our way living life in this house with a lovely rug to decorate our living room. So this morning (EARLY this morning, before the sun was up) I was awakened by our other dog, Harry (the village idiot if you will)...seems he had to relieve himself. I traipsed downstairs half asleep, and let him out to do whatever business he needed to do. He disappeared into the darkness of our backyard and returned about 10 minutes later....ready to be let back inside. We traipsed BACK upstairs, I collapsed back into bed and all was quiet--UNTIL Harry began to whine again. "GO LIE DOWN HARRY" I hollered...he continued to whine and pace, pace and whine. I rolled out of bed and a familiar odor became VERY apparent. I flipped the lights on to find out exactly what was happening...Yes, you've guessed it--Harry had an accident, a big accident...on my beautiful rug. It's not his fault I know, but it certainly was NOT the way I had planned on waking up (I much prefer the smell of COFFEE in the morning, not dog poo). At this point, I'm fairly certain that my neighbors are now suspicious that I have killed my husband. Here's why...
--Earl's work car has been parked in the driveway (without moving) for the past week (he's on a business trip),
--the rug is rolled up and on the curb for the big trash pick-up (I just couldn't put my baby down on that rug after what Harry did to it...it just didn't seem right)...
--the carpet that USED to be between the garage door and the basement is out on the curb too (YES, I ripped that up as well....at 6 am this morning...pulling that up was surprisingly liberating!)
--and Stanley Steemer carpet cleaning has already come and gone this morning.

BUT...as I was sitting outside while the guys cleaned the carpet, I had a revelation. I was worried about the money I was spending to get the dog poo cleaned off the carpet, I was thinking about the first of the month bills I needed to pay, I was calculating the numbers in my head...I was fretting over finances, I was thinking perhaps it would make more sense for me to go to work and make some money, the devil was GETTING to me...then my three year old whizzed past me on her little red tricycle, flashed me a big grin and screamed "MOOOOOMM, watch this"--I looked up to WHERE in life I was, and I realized how blessed I am by the sacrifices Danny and I choose to make. It was (is) a beautiful morning, I get to watch my children grow and blossom and ride their tricycles and I never have to worry if they're being hurt or if they're getting the right nutrition. I never have to worry that Sam's diaper isn't being changed often enough or if he's getting the right amount of cuddles and kisses...and I never have to feel guilty that SOMEONE else is giving him those cuddles and kisses instead of me. I even got to spend some time with my wonderful neighbor friend, Lucy. I am truly blessed...and we'll never have enough money...never...the devil reminds me of that often, but we will have those moments with our kids that you can never get back and THAT doesn't cost a thing. (Plus that tricycle was only $5 at a garage sale) So my blog-reading friends, that is what a morning filled with poo has taught me...funny how you have to be knee deep in dog poop before you realize the blessings all around you.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Ack! Dog disaster! We had an ongoing cat-kidney-trouble experience that led to wood floors and NO RUGS in our house. Life is much better with less-porous surfaces, let me tell you! (Also healthy cats help.) I'm glad that your disaster led to some good as well. :)